Becoming a Class Rep
WHAT A CLASS REP CAN DO
A class rep strives to make the college experience of every single student here better. Why should YOU run for class rep, it’s a chance to try something new, it looks great on a CV, you’ll meet new people and gain new skills, as well as that you could make the life of every student that comes through Maynooth better. No pressure though, it’s pretty simple! As a class rep you’ll provide the vital link between both the officers of the union (Ben, Siona, Eric, and myself Andy) and the general student body. You’ll be a member of Union Council which is the main decision making body of the union, basically you’ll be there to give a voice to you class, whether this is coming into me to say that your class feels X about y, or going to a lecturer and saying that it would be much nicer if they did x instead of y.
As a representative of your class you’ll also be able to organise some fun for them! This is much more fun side of being a rep, organising a night out in the SU or a trip away somewhere, setting up a facebook page for you class, ordering hoodies, the options in this part are only limited by your creativity!
Being a class rep also looks great on your CV, at some point in your life you’re almost guaranteed to use some of the skills that you practice as a class rep as part of your career. This could be public speaking skills to make a presentation, negotiation skills to make a sale (or to buy something), event planning, management, the list is endless!
So to sum it up, being a class rep offers you to the chance to learn some new skills, practice some old ones, make some new friends, improve the university and have a lot of fun while doing it all! Basically you get a great reward for your work, so why not run for class rep and represent your class?
CLASS REP AWARD SCHEME
The Class rep Award system, is setup in order to recognise the good work done by your Class reps during the course of the year.
- The Class rep will attend 4 meetings of union council, with 2 in each semester. Where the Class rep is unable to attend a meeting, apologies must be sent to the education officer in advance of the meeting.
- The Class rep will create a Facebook page for their class to enable easier discussion as well as the sharing of ideas and opinions.
- The Class rep will attend the Class rep training day
- The Class rep will organise at least 1 social event for their class eg. Class party, dinner, day trip etc. Preferably this would be done in conjunction with one of the businesses affiliated with the Students’ Union.
- The Class rep will organise 1 class event on campus, eg. A quiz in the bar, guest speaker etc
- The Class rep will meet with the education officer at least once each semester to ensure continued effective communication between the sabbatical officers and the Class reps.
- Attend at least 1 departmental meeting or meet with Departmental staff in an official capacity
- The Class rep will meet with their faculty rep at least once
- *On completion of the bronze award a class rep will receive an official Class rep hoodie, they will also be awarded a Bronze Award Certificate at the end of the year.
- The Class rep must be in a position of fulfilling all the requirements of the Bronze award.
- The Class rep will attend all meetings of union council, where the rep is unable to attend a meeting apologies must be sent to the education officer in advance of the meeting.
- The Class rep must meet the Students’ Union Education officer twice each semester to enable effective ongoing communication of all Students’ Union matters.
- The Class rep will organise at least 1 social event for their class each semester eg. Table quiz, Class party, dinner, day trip etc. Preferably this would be done in conjunction with one of the businesses affiliated with the Students’ Union.
- The Class rep must do at least one class survey created in conjunction with the education officer in order to acquire ongoing feedback from students.
- The Class rep will assist in at least 1 Students’ Union campaign.
- Attend all departmental meetings and meet with departmental staff at least once each semester in an official capacity.
- The Class rep will meet with their faculty rep at least once per semester
- *Each Class rep that fulfils the requirements of the Silver Award will be awarded with a Silver Award Certificate at the end of the year; they will also be entered into a draw for €100 prize.
- The Class Rep has fulfilled the requirements of the Silver Award
- The Class rep has attended the second semester refresher training
- The Class rep has actively engaged with Union Council, getting involved, raising and discussing issues where relevant.
- The Class rep has given their class a sense of identity (organised hoodies etc).
- The Class Rep has assisted in the delivery of at least 2 Students’ Union campaigns
- The Class Rep has organised at least 1 formal class meeting to discuss both academic and Union matters. The relevant faculty rep and education officer should be invited to this meeting too.
- The Class Rep has assisted in the delivery of at least 2 student surveys ( ISSE + 1 made in conjunction with the education officer)
- The Class Rep has been nominated by their class, forms can be obtained from the Students’ Union Front desk or from the Education Officer.
- * Each Class Rep who fulfils the requirements for the Gold Award will be awarded with a Gold Award Certificate at the end of the year, and they will be entered into a draw for a €200 prize. They will also be considered for the Class Rep of the year award.